For me, an important part of the healing process was learning.
The easiest way for me to do that was to read. I didn’t have to get out of bed. I didn’t have to put on clothes. I didn’t even have to leave my house. I lost myself in the science behind grief, the psychology of loss, stories of how other people dealt with trauma, and the many paths to healing. Here are a few of my favorites…
- Healing from Trauma: A Survivor’s Guide to Understanding Your Symptoms and Reclaiming Your Life by Jasmin Lee Cori
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel A. Van Der Kolk
- Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Body by David Emerson and Dr. Elizabeth Hopper
- The Body Bears the Burden: Trauma, Dissociation, and Disease by Robert C. Scaer
- The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
- When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi